This photograph of Runwell Hall is unfortunately undated. It shows a time when it was still occupied as a private house by Mr H.P.Liberty. Are you able to date it?
An attached article entitled “Where is it?” states that the Manor was granted by King Athelstene in 935AD, and a very early house existed on this site which became the Manor House when Old Lindsfords was destroyed. About 1500 there was a house and chapel upheld by Susanna Tonge, Queen Mary’s friend. The house was probably ransacked at the Dissolution, no doubt repaired and reoccupied, probably as a shooting lodge. It appears that it was quite well maintained and repaired right up to about 1770. About 1825, Thomas Nash Kemble (sometime High Sheriff of Essex) rebuilt the second house, substantially enlarging it but incorporating some parts of the foundations and structure. Most of the external walls were cloaked over with new red brickwork, but on the South front the colour and texture of the brickwork makes it apparent that the old bricks from the earlier house were reused.