Wickford Bridge spanned the River Crouch at the lower end of Southend Road. It was narrow and was a hump bridge. Traffic was limited, carts and carriages could not pass on the bridge and as the town became busier a wider flatter bridge was needed. The new bridge was opened in 1915.
The new by-pass, built at the end of the 1970s, cut off the bridge end of the road. It is now called Lower Southend Road.