Below are six photographs of the Carter family. Clockwise from top left:
1. Alfred Carter, carpenter of 2 Brickfield Cottages, born 1864, son of John, brother of Frank. Alfred married Elizabeth Rogers and had 11 children, 10 of whom survived – Alfred, Horace, Dorothy, Archibald, Kathleen, Frank, Hilda, Alec, Nora & Ruth. Ruth, the youngest, was my Mum. Alfred is shown here in his ‘soldiering’ uniform. He served in Ireland where he met Elizabeth.
2. Alfred Carter again, seated left, when soldiering in Ireland, c1880s.
3. Old Uncle Frank, Alfred’s older brother.
4. Ruth (nee Carter) and Leslie Flexman – my Mum & Dad, on their Norton in old uncle Frank’s builder’s yard, c1920s.
5. Ruth & Les in their Bellsize Bradshaw – their first car. Note my Mum, never a driver, posing in the driver’s seat and sporting the fashionable Eton Bob! c1920s.
6. My maternal grandmother, Elizabeth Carter (nee Rogers) born 1864 in Killybegs, County Donegal, Ireland. She is shown here with one of old uncle Frank’s daughters by his first marriage. Elizabeth was working at the time the picture was taken as a cook for Officers at Shoebury Garrison.